On the corner of School Road and Fox Hollies Road in Hall Green stands the Church of the Ascension, formerly known as the Job Marston Chapel. It is located in the original centre of Hall Green close to the site of Hall Green Hall from which the area takes its name.
Built as a chapel-of-ease of St Edburgha's, Yardley, the Chapel took its original name from Job Marston, a resident at Hall Green Hall which stood opposite, who donated £1,000 towards the construction of the building near the old hall and further monies for its upkeep and priest. It was consecrated on 25 May 1704.
Set in a picturesque and leafy walled churchyard, it was built in 1703-4 and was designed by Sir William Wilson a protégée of Sir Christopher Wren. He designed the church in Queen Anne style to be built in brick with stone dressings in the urban style
The chancel and transepts were added later in 1860 in the original style.
The brick building consists of an exterior with a stone entablature and balustrade supported by Doric pilasters and the window architraves are of moulded stone. At the west end is a tower with an octagonal upper storey with a copper cupola.
The interior of the nave is covered by a coved plaster ceiling. On each side of the nave are three semi-circular headed windows and the roof is slated.
Until the foundation of the diocese of Birmingham in 1905, the city of Birmingham was straddled on the boundaries of two ancient sees. The Diocese was split into the archdeaconries of Birmingham and Aston. The chapel became known as the parish church of Hall Green in the new diocese of Birmingham in March 1907. Then in 1933, the patronage was transferred from the Trustees to the Bishop of Birmingham.
Sadly, Hall Green hall was sold and pulled down to make way for the building of the Charles Lane Almshouses in 1935.
On 25 April 1952 the building was designated Grade II* listed status and is the earliest classical church to survive within the city boundary and one of the few neoclassical church buildings in Birmingham.
The church was renamed as the Church of the Ascension in 1954 and the streets around the church form the Hall Green Conservation Area.